So I’ve decided to start a “Projects” section on this blog, as my boyfriend and I have done several projects together and I think others could benefit from seeing them (for inspiration, understanding and suggested processes – and trials and errors too). Earlier this summer a large amount of free cedar was offered at my workplace due to construction improvements, and I instantly thought huge outdoor planter and took what I could fit in my car! I told my boyfriend about the idea and to help liven up our backyard a bit and he went to work on a design plan. You can view the building process and finished product here – he also shared his comments on the process (hit the info icon on each image for details).
We started the project in mid-May with a few delays due to temperature (too hot), design (attaching different materials together), component availability (it took a few trips to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lee Valley and the like to find a good weather-resistant mesh material, which we found out is called shade cloth). A bit of spray paint and time to connect all the pieces together, and voila! Overall, we estimate that it took about 3-4 weekends to complete.
I planted my veggies inside in late March and my tomatoes were too big before the planter was finished, so I re-planted them outside in an in-ground potting mix garden. They ended up vining everywhere, so we had a few more tomatoes to move than I expected (the entire planter is tomatoes and I have a few of my other veggies still indoors).
A few things we learned:
More projects to come!
I'm a young adult female working my way through life in Canada, traveling when I can afford it and seeking out my passions one day at a time...